Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Black Swan


What on earth could be better than Darren Aronofsky, Natalie Portman, and a dark twisted version of the beautiful Tchaikovsky ballet Swan Lake? Nothing, I tell you.

Ben & I saw Black Swan last Sunday and can I just say I've never been more uncomfortable, horrified, and awed at Natalie Portman's portrayal of Nina, or the Swan Queen. The movie was dark in true Aronofsky fashion, visceral, & downright terrifying. It's very hard to distinguish reality and truth from lies and deception. Is Nina losing her mind or is it the pressure of everyone around her?

The relationship between Nina and her mother (played by Barbara Hershey) is bizarre and creepy enough itself. Seemingly more obsessed with the performance than her own daughter, she drowns her in over-indulgent motherly affections (trimming her toenails for her, helping her undress). Or is it perhaps, her relationship with the ballet instructor- demanding more sensuality and feeling from her and belittling her perfect technique.

Movie-goers be warned of strong sexual content- a love scene (if you could call it that- also creepy and terrifying) between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman, ballet injuries (lifted toenails, hangnails gone awry).

If you can bring yourself to get past all of that- it's well worth your time and money. The eerie-ness, the gorgeous costume/makeup design, and of course the brilliantly done distorted Tchaikovsky/Clint Mansell soundtrack are all worth it in this psycho-sexual thriller.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you said! Can't stop thinking about this movie. It touched me on a lot of different levels. But the visual imagery was perhaps the best I have ever seen in a movie before. I would be shocked to see Natalie Portman lose out on an Oscar nom and/or Golden Globe win. I hope to post my own review soon. :)

    ReplyDelete